It’s hard to believe that I’m only 1 week away from my very first half marathon, the Niagara Falls Women’s Half Marathon. I’m looking forward to it, but with this crazy humid heat wave we have had this week, I’m a bit apprehensive.
I’ve been acclimatizing myself to this weather by running smaller distances. I make sure I’m wearing sunblock, a hat, sunglasses and carry plenty of water. In preparation for my first half marathon, I’ve had to make a few new purchases.
A few weeks ago I had to buy a new hydration belt to carry water and fuel in. Watch my review of Nike Lean 2 Bottle Fuel Belt. I’ve also had to buy a few other items, such as body glide, energy chews and a new Pearl iZUMi visor. Clif’s Shot Blocks are new to me. They are the brand of energy chews that TriSport Niagara carries and the triathlon shop owners says they have more sodium in it. Ha, it’s the only time when that’s a good thing! I’m going to give them a try and see how I like them.
I can’t wait for Monday night next week, when I can share my first half marathon race recap with you. I’ve come a long way since I started running (and this blog). From my first 5 km race to my first half marathon. Who would have thought?
Oh, and not to forget, this weekend, my husband, my son and I participated in the Rankin Run. An annual charity race that we do as a family to help support those with Cancer in Niagara. This is a huge event with a 5 km and 1 km option. We planned on doing the 5 km like all other years, but opted for the 1 km due to the heat and humidity. We also left our dog Charlie at home, for the same reason.
#MotivateMe Monday Training Plan
I invite you to join Janice and myself for our link-up if you want to share your fitness or nutrition plans and stay motivated too!Link up with @fitcheerldr & @runmommyrunca #MotivateMe Monday if you need some motivation! Click To Tweet
Here is what I did last week:
Monday: 30 km bike ride around Niagara-on-the-Lake
Tuesday: 5 km slow recovery run, 1000 meter swim
Friday: 5 km run
Saturday: 1 km walk for the Rankin Cancer Run
Sunday: 9 Km run
This week I’m hoping to do the following:
Tuesday: 5 km easy run
Wednesday: 1000 meter swim
Thursday: 5 km run
Sunday: 21.1 Km, Niagara Falls Women’s Half Marathon
Join the conversation:
- Have you tried Clif’s Shot Blocks? Your thoughts?
- Do you have any tips for my first half?
- Do I need anything else for my big race?
PLEASE JOIN THE #MOTIVATEME LINK UP!
THE RULES ARE VERY SIMPLE:
- Every Monday share your fitness, nutrition plan etc by linking them up. All you will need is your post’s URL, and a photo you would like to attach.
- Posts that aren’t related will be deleted.
- In your post, we would love it if you mentioned that you’re participating in #MotivateMe Monday link up, and link back to the hosts Fitness Cheerleader and Run Mommy Run.
- Read what the other linkers are sharing, Visit at least 2 other bloggers’ posts and share some support by commenting and engaging with each other. The more you support, the more support you will get back.