Last updated on May 7th, 2018 at 05:07 pm
It’s so easy to get into a lunch rut. Today’s healthy mexican rice bowl recipe is a twist on the traditional taco will get you out of that rut. Read through and enjoy!
Walmart now offers an online grocery and pick up service and I invited to give it a try this week (check out my Instagram post and stories). All the ingredients used to make this meal were purchased through Walmart Online Groceries and you can see in the photo above, all the produce was very fresh.
The Mexican Rice Bowl is a simple dish that is great for lunches and dinners when you need a little something different on Taco Tuesdays. This healthy meal is packed with vegetables and protein and it makes it a great family meal because it’s quite customizable if you have picky eaters like I do.
I used chicken for my rice bowl this week but pork and beef would do just as well. I would even use the same seasoning for each of the meats. Without further ado, there is my recipe:
Healthy Mexican Rice Bowl Recipe
- 2 Boneless skinless Chicken breast
- 2 tbsp of Olive oil
- 1 Tbsp Chili powder
- 1 Tbsp Ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp Garlic powder
- 1 Tsp Smoked paprika
- 2 cup of cooked long grain rice
- 1 cup of Corn (thawed and cooked)
- 1 can of black beans
- 2 diced tomatoes
- 1 diced avocado
- Shredded Iceberg Lettuce
- 1 cup of shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Juice of half a lime
- chopped Cilantro (to taste)
- ¼ cup dollop of per Sour Cream
- Preheat oven at 350 degrees F
- To make the chicken
- To make taco spices, combine chili powder, cumin powder, garlic salt and smoked paprika.
- Rub chicken breast with taco spices, sprinkle olive oil and place on a sheet pan.
- Cook chicken all the way through, about 20 minutes
- Allow chicken to cool and cube
- In a bowl, place ½ cup of rice
- Top with corn, beans, tomatoes, avocado, lettuce and cheddar cheese.
- Drizzle about a tablespoon of lime juice over the rice bowl
- Garnish rice bow with cilantro and a dollop of sour cream
If you like this healthy recipe you might also enjoy Italian Stuffed Tomatoes with Ground Pork or Goat Cheese and Bacon Mini Quiche.
Like this recipe? Pin me for later