Last updated on June 18th, 2018 at 12:43 am
Sometimes we like soft shells for our tacos, sometimes we like the hard shells. Last week, we decided to go with the whole wheat boats from a popular brand. I found them to be easier to hold and less messy than the other options.
I also like to change the meat we use in our tacos. Sometimes it’s ground beef, other times, it’s fish. For this recipe I opted for a high quality cut of steak cut very thinly.
The trick to cutting the steak thinly is to place it in the freezer for a few hours so that it’s partly frozen. It’s an extra step that requires pre-planning but it the best way I know to make thin slices.
Before I share with you my recipe for the steak tacos, I’m also including links to all the healthy homemade condiments I made to load onto our tasty tacos. If you scroll all the way down, you’ll find the recipe for the steak tacos.
Steak Taco Boats Recipe
- 1 or 2 Good quality steak
- 8 Whole Wheat Taco boats
- For the seasoning
- 1 Tbsp. Chili powder
- 1 Tbsp. Ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp. Garlic powder
- 1 Tsp. Smoked paprika
- ¼ Tsp of salt
- Optional toppings:
- Cheddar or Feta Cheese
- Pickled Onions
- Salsa Fresca
- Sour Cream
- Place steak in the freezer until semi firm(a few hours)
- Slice steak thinly
- Fry the steak slices until brown
- Meanwhile, mix the taco seasoning by combining all 5 ingredients.
- Sprinkle 2 Tbs. or so of taco seasoning and cook for another 2 minutes
- Wrap taco boats in foil and warm in the oven (300 F) for 5 minutes
- Scoop steak in boats and top with your homemade condiments and enjoy!
If you healthy recipes, make sure to check out my Healthy Mexican Rice Bowl Recipe
If you like this recipe, pin this image for later