Last updated on April 18th, 2018 at 01:37 am
I was the lucky winner of a giveaway a few weeks ago from Carmy’s blog for a week’s worth of Hello Fresh, a meal kit delivery service. I’m was super excited since I was curious about HelloFresh. Please note, this post does contain some affiliate links which means that I might get a small commission if you buy something using those links (at no extra cost to you).
I’m writing a review of my Week’s worth of Hello Fresh since I received my kit at work and got lots of questions, requests for pictures etc from my coworkers as well as getting some interest from Facebook and blog followers. Here it is, I’m happy to oblige.
First off, I do find that a week’s worth of HelloFresh to be a bit miss leading since its only 3 meals. However,that’s about as far as my disappointment goes with this meal kit delivery service. Hello Fresh definitely makes meal planning for busy families a breeze.
Every week, you can pick 3 meals from a selection of 4. They have subscription plans for 2 people, 4 people and even a family plan (which is also based on 4 people however, they hold back on the spices for a more kid friendly approach). I decided on the Pronto Plan for 4 people since we are a family of 3. There were plenty of leftovers for lunches the next day in each meal.Check out how easy and tasty meal planning can be with @hellofreshca Click To Tweet
Thai Beef With Coconut Rice
Our first meal was the Thai Beef with Coconut Rice. This really set the bar high for expectations. Luckily, all the other meals were on par! There was quite a bit of food prep for this dish. The broccoli were cut into small florets, however, I still had to cut onions, garlic, basil, peppers as well as zest and cut the limes. This dish probably took a little more than 30 minutes, but it was well worth it. The leftovers made a great lunch the next day as well.
Although the Thai Beef was a hit with my husband and I, it was not kid friendly for my little guy. He didn’t care for it
Hearty Italian Sausage with Bean and Tomato Cassoulet
The Hearty Italian Sausage with Bean and Tomato Cassoulet was probably my favorite of the three. Those sausages they sent us were simply amazing. I must source them out. The cassoulet, a french dish, was something I’ve never had before or heard of. I loved the flavour of this dish. Next time, I’d go easy on the beans. I thought 2 cans a bit much. Otherwise, this dish was superb! It was also a hit with my son.
To be honest, if I was going through a recipe book I would have probably passed over this recipe quite quickly and dismissed it altogether since I didn’t know what it is and I don’t care for beans very much. Hello Fresh helped me to get out of my usual go-to-meals and exposed me to new possibilities.
The leftovers were good for lunches the next day as well. Unfortunately, we loved the sausage so much that we didn’t have much left over.
Southern “Faux” Fried Chicken with Slaw and Sweet Potatoes
The Southern Fried Chicken as another family hit we all enjoyed. It was surprising to see how much my little guy loved the coleslaw. I never have success with sweet potato fries from scratch, and it wasn’t different this time. They never turn out crispy, they always end up mushy! They still tasted great, but I would have prefered them to be crispy like they do in restaurants.
I think this recipe took me longer than 30 minutes to prepare and cook but it was well worth it in the end. We enjoyed the leftovers again. No waste!
What I loved:
- The recipes were all very tasty and all three were a hit with my husband and I, however, my 3-year-old son wasn’t a fan of the Thai Beef with Coconut Rice.
- Everything comes pre-measured, there is NO WASTE.
- The quality of the meat was amazing.
- It makes meal planning super easy since they do it for you.
- If you are not a great cook, these recipes will definitely make you look like a top chef!
- I love the selection of meals. They will definitely get you out of your usual meal rut!
- I don’t have to worry about whether I have all the ingredients, I know I will with Hello Fresh.
- The recipes were healthy and well-balanced and provided a great variety and didn’t rely on processed foods.
- I would say for many people, the price might be a turn off, however, I think for the quality and quantity of meals being shipped right to your door, the price is justified.
- Lots of packaging, however, most is recyclable
- I wish it was 4 or 5 meals instead of 3.
- After this week’s worth of meals, I’m afraid all our meals next week will seem like a disappointment!
I’m definitely considering subscribing to Hello Fresh! I’ll probably give the Family Plan a try.