Last updated on May 25th, 2018 at 12:13 am
Make Taco Tuesday less boring with pickled onions. They are easy to make, and add a punch of flavour (and colour) to your beef of fish tacos. You can even top off a nice juicy homemade burger with these tasty pickled onions.
My husband and I try to give healthier options when feeding our boys. We try to give the same family friendly meals everyone enjoys, such as taco night, but we try to cut down on the processed foods. We do this my making our own taco condiments such as these pickled onions.Make Taco Tuesday less boring with pickled onions. Click to get the recipe Click To Tweet
With only 5 ingredients; onions, water, vinegar, sugar and salt, you can enjoy these within 1 hour’s notice.
Speaking of tacos, here is my recipe Steak Taco Boats for you to check out. You might also enjoy the other condiments that we make at home on taco night:
Pickled Onions Recipe
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup vinegar
- 2 cup of water
- 1 tbs. of sugar
- 1 pinch of salt
- Bring water to boil and remove from heat.
- Put onion rings in the hot water and allow to sit for 5 minutes until they soften
- Remove onions from water, reserving 1 cup of the onion infused water
- In a jar, place the softened onions, vinegar, sugar, salt and top up with reserved water
- Allow the onions to sit for at least 1 hour before using, 4 hours prefered
- Store with a tightly covered lid for up to 4 days in the refrigerator.