Last updated on May 18th, 2018 at 03:07 am
Cold and flu season is upon us. My household has already been hit by the cold, twice. Keep running and never break your stride this winter by reaching for the Kiwifruit to help fight off the nasty bugs.
This is not a sponsored post, however, I was provided with valuable information and some kiwifruit for sampling. All opinions are my own.
Just as I was getting back on track with my strength training using Nike Training Club and doing some weekend runs, I got hit by a cold and it’s set me back again.
By coincidence, around the same time, some interesting information on the benefits of Kiwifruit came my way which I thought was worthy of passing on to you, my dear readers, in hopes that it might help you fight off the nasty cold and flu this season so you can keep running all winter long.
I’m also providing a great kiwi smoothie recipe at the end of this post.
Kiwifruit: Cold & Flu Fighting Power
I’m a fan of fruit. We buy kiwis once in a while when they seem juicy and sweet but knowing all the beneficial facts of this superfruit, we might stock up on them more often this winter.Fact: two SunGold Kiwifruit contain three times the amount of vitamin C as an orange Click To Tweet
According to Zespri, some of the cold and flu fighting power of kiwi include:
- Vitamin C is known as the natural fighter of the common cold but oranges shouldn’t be your only go-to source for it. In fact, a serving of two SunGold Kiwifruit contain three times the amount of vitamin C as an orange! Vitamin C aids in boosting immunity in order to fend off ailments caused by viruses and bacteria.
- Green Kiwifruit are high in fibre, with two offering the same amount of fibre as a packet of oatmeal. Soluble fibre in kiwifruit helps strengthen our immune systems with anti-inflammatory properties, allowing us to recover faster from infections.
- A serving of kiwifruit also provides the same amount of potassium as a medium banana. Potassium keeps our bodies strong when cold and flu symptoms make us feel weak. Potassium helps our muscles store and utilize energy.
- Kiwifruit contain antioxidants vital for neutralizing free radicals and minimizing our chances of illness.
It doesn’t take much to convince me to eat more fresh fruit, but knowing that such a small fruit can pack such a big punch definitely sweetness the deal. I want to stay healthy all winter, since it’s one of my favorite season for running (as long as the sidewalks and roads are clear).
Although I love eating kiwi all on their own, they can make a tasty addition to any smoothies, so today I’m sharing with you an Apple Kiwi Protein Smoothie, an adaptation from a recipe on Zespri’s website. Their recipe calls for milk but I’ve modified it since I’m lactose intolerant.Fight off cold & flu this winter with this Vitamin C packed Kiwi Apple Protein Smoothie Click To Tweet
Kiwi Apple Protein Smoothie
- 2 Kiwifruit
- 1 apple
- 1 cup of pineapple juice
- 1 scoop of your favorite protein powder
- 1 handful of ice cubes (optional)
- Put all of the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
Join the conversation:
Do you love Kiwi?
Do you eat it with our without the skin?
Green or SunGold, which one do you like best?