Last updated on April 3rd, 2018 at 04:21 pm
Today, on the blog, I’m going to talk about secret ways to add steps to your day. Why? Because the Town I work in has set in motion an exciting new initiative to encourage its residents, students and those that work there to get out and be active. They have launched a Town-wide step challenge. I’ve been tracking my steps for nearly 2 years now. My daily goal is always 10,000 steps a day. I don’t reach my goal every day, but I would say that I do for 5 our of 7 days of the week.
Since I joined a team for this challenge, I’m going to step up my stepping game for June and I’m increasing my goal to 15,000 steps a day using strategies from my list of secret ways to add steps to your day
So, how am I going to increase my step count for June? I’m going to be using any combination of these secret ways to add steps to my day.
- Use the stairs instead of the elevator
- Park your car as far as you can from work
- Use your lunch break to take a 30 minute walk
- Get up at least once every hour for 5 minutes to walk around the office
- Take your dog for 2 walks a day, every day
- Take your dog for longer walks, he’ll appreciate it
- If you are buying lunch, try to go somewhere you can walk to
- Walk on your treadmill while watching your favorite episodes on TV
- Dance around the living room with your kids
- Volunteer to do the house chores that require lots of walking, like laundry, mowing the lawn
- Take your kids to the park and take part in their activities
- Play a game of tag with your kids
- Go shopping, I always get lots of steps when I’m shopping
- While your kids is having his hockey practice, walk or run up and down the stairs
- Drink lots of water, you’ll have to get up to use the washroom often
The best way to get more steps though, is to take part in a challenge. Challenge your coworkers to through a FitBit challenge or an app like Stridekick. Or better yet, sign up for a 5 km race! You’ll find your own ways of getting more steps in your day.
Activity trackers keep track of your steps for you. There are so many brands and types out there. If you don’t already have one, you might be interested in reading about how to choose an activity tracker.
If you have any tricks to add to steps to your day, please leave them in the comments below, I will make sure to add them to the list!