Last updated on June 9th, 2017 at 01:30 am
Today, on the blog, I’m going to talk about secret ways to add steps to your day. Why? Because the Town I work in has set in motion an exciting new initiative to encourage its residents, students and those that work there to get out and be active. They have launched a Town-wide step challenge. I’ve been tracking my steps for nearly 2 years now. My daily goal is always 10,000 steps a day. I don’t reach my goal every day, but I would say that I do for 5 our of 7 days of the week.
Since I joined a team for this challenge, I’m going to step up my stepping game for June and I’m increasing my goal to 15,000 steps a day.
So, how am I going to increase my step count for June? I’m going to be using any combination of these secret ways to add steps to my day.
- Use the stairs instead of the elevator
- Park your car as far as you can from work
- Use your lunch break to take a 30 minute walk
- Get up at least once every hour for 5 minutes to walk around the office
- Take your dog for 2 walks a day, every day
- Take your dog for longer walks, he’ll appreciate it
- If you are buying lunch, try to go somewhere you can walk to
- Walk on your treadmill while watching your favorite episodes on TV
- Dance around the living room with your kids
- Volunteer to do the house chores that require lots of walking, like laundry, mowing the lawn
- Take your kids to the park and take part in their activities
- Play a game of tag with your kids
- Go shopping, I always get lots of steps when I’m shopping
- While your kids is having his hockey practice, walk or run up and down the stairs
- Drink lots of water, you’ll have to get up to use the washroom often
The best way to get more steps though, is to take part in a challenge. Challenge your coworkers to through a FitBit challenge or an app like Stridekick. Or better yet, sign up for a 5 km race! You’ll find your own ways of getting more steps in your day.
If you have any tricks to add to steps to your day, please leave them in the comments below, I will make sure to add them to the list!