Last updated on March 5th, 2016 at 01:37 am
In order to build muscles, you need to add protein to your diet. Once I had a hard look at my diet, I realized that I lacked some at breakfast and snacks especially. Here are some examples of proteins that I use to boost my intake at meals and snacks. The following list could apply to any meal or snack; it’s not a complete list, but a list of my favorite ones. The items are simply listed as they came to mind.
List of Protein for Breakfast or Snacks
- turkey bacon (actually tastes better than I thought)
- pasteurized egg whites from a carton (I add it to my scrambled eggs)
- protein shake (my recipe here)
- low-fat cheese, I prefer old cheddar (I have to admit this is my go to for protein. I tend to eat too much. I’m also lactose intolerant, so its a cheese that I actually can eat)
- nuts and seeds
- milk, I prefer 1% or 2%, however, skim milk is probably your best bet (I use lactose free here).
- sliced lunch meat, I buy low-fat, low sodium. (I still love sandwiches for lunch, a hold over from elementary school I think)
- canned tuna
- Greek yogurt
For dinner, I usually eat from the following choices:
- chicken breast or thighs
- tilapia (and when I get tired of this, I sub for haddock or sole)
- lean ground beef, turkey or chicken
What are your favorite types of protein?
Does anyone have any other tips on adding protein to their day? I’d like to hear about what other people do!