Winter Chill Week 1
Wow, week 1 of the Winter Chill is already under our belts. It seems like it was a busy week for every challenger as well. Even though, we all found some time to fit in some sort of physical activity. If you want to get to know our challengers, read this post. Let’s find out how our challengers did on Week 1.The #WinterChill challenge is now in its second week, find out how awesome we did in week 1 Click To Tweet
Julie managed quite a few workouts this week. She completed;
- 6.5 km run, an 8 km run,
- 25 min swim,
- 5 km run.
According to our nifty calorie counter, she burned a total of 1520 calories. Way to go Ju!
She might not have quite reached her goals since she missed a planned long run on Saturday, but she did very well.
Julie’s biggest hurdle week:
I was alone with my youngest son this weekend, I had no one to leave him with while I went running.
Nancy started the first week of the Winter Chill on the right foot. She found the abnormally nice weather outside motivation enough to put on her running shoes on and go on walks. Here is what Nancy’s week looked like:
- Monday: Gym – Cardio 30 min, weight 30 min, walk to parking lot to work 10 min x2
- Tuesday: 7 min workout on my phone (done 3 x)
- Wednesday: Gym – Cardio 30 min and weight 30 min
- Thursday: Gym – Cardio 30 min and weight 30 min
- Friday: Walk from parking lot to work 10 min x2
- Saturday: Walk while waiting for kid’s hockey game to start – 40 min
- Sunday: Walk while waiting for the kids’ hockey game to start – 30 min
She didn’t quite achieve her goal of weight training 3 times a week, but she was very close! Nancy’s biggest obstacles this week:
My 3 kids were all in a hockey tournament and I did not get out to the gym on the weekend to do any strengthening exercises.
Barrie from Hardly A Goddess
Barrie, who likes a challenge, got busy on week 1 of the Winter Chill with:
- 5 1/2 mile run,
- 45 minute of PIYO,
- 3 1/2 mile run,
- 1 hour PIYO,
- daily ab/squats.
She burned an impressive total of 2329 calories. Barrie says that she did not quite reach her goal of going outside every day this week. Although she was quite active, she says:
I missed out because I didn’t prioritize – I either slept in a little, or didn’t plan for it, so it got too busy to fit it in.
Useful Tip: Barrie loves keeping a log of her every day activities so at the end of the week I can see how she did.
Susan from Adventures With Suz
Susan had a good first week as well. She completed a marathon on Dec. 5. We are looking forward to reading her recap soon. Susan’s week 1 of the challenge looked like this:
- Monday: circuit t raining workout
- Tuesday: 4 mile run (her last before the marathon)
- The rest of the week: stretching & resting for the marathon.
- Saturday: Rehoboth Seashore Marathon in Delaware.
Congratulations Susan on a shiny new P.B of 4:10:25. Susan’s biggest hurdle this week:
I wouldn’t call tapering a hurdle, although I found that I had a lot of pent-up energy over the latter half of the week. I think the biggest challenges the next few weeks will be getting back into the swing of things and making good decisions when it comes to food.
Janice from Fitness Cheerleader
Jancie kept herself very busy this week. You can catch her review of her week on her #MotivateMe Monday post: The Struggle to Find Time to Run is Real #MotivateMe.
In the spirit of Christmas, Janice has created a fun Advent Calender called 25 Days of Strength. I think I might take on this challenge myself and kill two birds with one stone!
Amy said that the only workout she got in this week was 3 hours of dancing at our work’s Christmas party! I’ll say that’s a pretty good start to December!
Amy didn’t achieve her goals this week. Her biggest hurdle was lack of sleep and feeling exhausted! We hope you’ve caught up on your lack of sleep!
We’ve made a few lunch dates this week to go workout together. We will motivate each other to reach our Winter Chill goals!
With lots of activities every day, Abigail rocked her first week of the Winter Chill Challenge. Here is how she kept herself active:
- Tuesday: Walk 3.5 km, run 10 km
- Wednesday: Walk 7 km, swim 700 m
- Thursday: Walk 7 km, run 5 km
- Friday: Walk 7 km
- Saturday: Row 10 km
- Sunday: Walk 7.5 km
This geologist had the goal of getting out and doing something every day! Abigail, you did a great job at sticking to your goals.
Kristen from Run Away With Me
- Tuesday: 15 minutes of PT exercises
- Wednesday: 1 hour spin class, 15 minutes of PT exercises
- Thursday: 45 minute PT appointment
- Friday: 10 minute run, 15 minutes of PT exercises, 15 minutes of yoga
- Saturday: 1 hour spin class, 15 minutes of yoga
- Sunday: 15 minute run, 15 minutes of PT exercises, 15 minutes of yoga
Even though Kristen is currently injured, she managed to stay active. She managed to workout 6 times this week and complete her Physio Therapy exercises. Sounds like a great start to me but we hope that you are injury-free in no time!
Here is a great tip from Kristen:
I have been changing into my workout clothes before leaving work and it means that when I get home I have no excuse to skip my 5:45 spin class or to opt out of going to the gym because I’m already ready to go!
And, as the last challenger, there is me, Lucie! Here is what I did in Week 1 of the challenge:
- Tuesday: Full body strength training (click here for complete workout) and 30 min of dog walking
- Wednesday:5 km run at lunch (#runch) & 30 min of dog walking
- Thursday: 35 min of stationary bike & 30 min dog walking
- Friday: 30 min dog walking
- Saturday or Sunday: 1 hour each day of dog walking.
My goal is to workout 5 times a week. Not mentioned above was my usual Monday night swimming class where I swam 1000 m. The total calories burned this week was 1631. Although I missed my scheduled long run on the weekend, I feel that I kept to my goals fairly well!
My biggest hurdle this week was knowing what to do in my spare time, cleaning?, blogging? or working out? Although I did some of each, cleaning won out this week, hence no long run on the weekend.
Motivate Me MondayLink up with @fitcheerldr & @RunningRachel for #MotivateMe Monday if you need some motivation! Click To Tweet
This week, I’m hoping to accomplish:
Monday: 10 km run
Tuesday: Full body strength training
Wednesday:5 km run at lunch (#runch)
Thursday: 30 min stationary bike
Saturday or Sunday: 8/9 km run (I’m trying to increase my mileage to 10 km and beyond!)
How do you keep active during the busy December month? What are your workout plans this week?